And I'll tell you what....

Monday, January 10, 2011

"Why doesn't anybody Listen to Me?!?!?!?!"

If it seems that you are talking and talking and someone just won't listen, you might want to ask yourself "Why won't they just Listen??"  Kids, friends, coworkers, family... No body!!  Giving this a lot of thought lately.  If I want Anyone to listen, I need to figure out How to make that happen!  Figured I'd check the Bible since, as with everything else, it will have Something to say! So here is what I came up with...  I'm going to paraphrase and link some verses together here.
      The first and greatest commandment is to Love the Lord with all your heart, soul and mind. The second is that we love everyone else as Jesus loves them (Mark 12:30-31). So my message Must come first from a heart of love~ From the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh (Luke 6:45)   If my heart is filled with God's love, mercy, compassion,and wisdom, then my words will give Life. My words will be healing, loving, uplifting, leading others Toward Christ. The mouth of a righteous man is a well of life(Prov 10:11).
    The heart is the fountain, words are the streams.  Our words can be poison or fruit (Prov.18:21) If our words are to be Fruit, to feed the soul, then what kind of fruit?  That's an easy one. The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.
   Ok, so now I know my message should fit into the above criteria. On the other hand, a troubled fountain, or a contaminated spring, must send forth muddy and unpleasant streams.  Remember ~poison or fruit. Offensive, hurtful words stir up anger (Prov 15:1) , and stirring up anger brings quarrels, strife, controversy, dispute and contention (Prov 30:33). Its honorable and Godly to avoid strife and contention (Prov 20:3) as we are to live peaceably with others (Romans 12:18).   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)
   So does that mean I shouldn't say anything unless its the Popular opinion, the Politically Correct thing? God's Word is Not popular, its not politically correct, it causes controversy.  If I am talking about God its going to offend Someone!
    While that is all true, the issue I am addressing really is Not about being liked by everyone, being nice and not speaking up about God. The real issue is this~ Is my Message drawing people Closer to the Lord, or chasing them away with my attitude?  Are my words life-giving fruit of the Spirit of Peace or are the poison arrows flung at the heart of my listener.  We have guidelines to follow~  Let your speech be always with *Grace, seasoned with *salt, that you may know how you ought to answer every man(Col 4:6)
   *Grace: of the merciful kindness by which God, exerting His holy influence upon souls, turns them to Christ, keeps, strengthens, increases them in Christian faith, knowledge, affection, and kindles them to the exercise of the Christian virtues  
   *salt:wisdom and grace exhibited in speech
   Do my words show that I am a Christian? By my LOVE?  “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)  If my words are offensive, divisive, angry, and hurtful, its so much easier for people to walk away and not listen!
   Attitude guides the words... the heart guides the attitude...Love guides the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment